Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Diary of Anxious Dental Patient

I sat down at the dentist office today. He had told me some time ago that I should replace some old fillings. I had waited for a while; but, since I am his wife, I figured that I should practice what we preach. I should mention that I am a TERRIBLE patient. I blame my dentist growing up. He was "rough as a cob" as my Daddy says. I don't require alot of dental work. I guess I could give the same dentist some credit for that. I think I will attribute good genes and my current dentist(my hubbie) for my good overall dental health. I get my teeth cleaned three times a year, but I digress.

I put the bib on, I opted to forgo the nitrous oxide(laughing gas) because I was trying on my big girl pants and didn't want to appear too needy. First, Dr. J applied the topical anesthetic. So far, so good. Then my tongue and throat started to go numb. My childhood memories of the fillings he was replacing started racing through my mind!!!Here comes the shot...not so bad. Now I remember that Dr J, aka Brian, gives an excellent shot. Oh good. Then I sat to let it take effect. A few minutes pass and here HE comes. Leans the chair back, the blood pressure goes up...I should have had Kim snap a picture of me. Head phone on, orange glasses in place, listening to some contemporary praise music, I will get though this! The drill begins, I can't hear the music because my panic is rising! I force myself to breathe in, breathe out, breathe out. What is this? I don't feel any pain! The next thing I know he has applied the new fillings and we are all done. What was I so nervous about? He didn't step on my chest to pull anything, I didn't even feel the shot.

Have you ever felt nervous about anything that was irrational. Take it from me. It ain't so bad...just do it! I now have beautifully white fillings!

Thanks for playing along, and yes it is true!

Debbie Johnson

Brian D. Johnson, DMD
1240 Upper Hembree Road
Suite C
Roswell, GA 30076
770.993.9809
www.BrianJohnsonDMD.com

No comments:

Post a Comment