Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Be Careful Little Mouths What You Eat!...or Drink

On a recent visit to the pediatrician, I learned that creatine, a supplement being widely used by athletes and encouraged by some coaches, can have some very serious side effects. It is being added to drinks, like"Muscle Milk" and some "protein bars". Creatine is a very popular supplement. That's mainly because it accelerates gains in muscle size and strength compared to exercise alone. I did a little research on the Mayo Clinic's website. My pediatric nurse practitioner, Pat Musto, from North Fulton Pediatrics , strongly discourages the use of creatine , especially in adolescents. Research that NFPs has looked into shows that creatine does "bulk up" muscle fibers. The problem is that creatine is not selective and can even "bulk up" cardiac (heart) fibers.This is not a desirable result. Doctors are recommending that dietary protein is best.
She went so far as to say if I had "Muscle Milk" at home, that I should throw it away! I trust this pediatric practice so implicitly , that I thought that I should share it with my friends and now with our patients.
I know that this isn't technically a dental issue, but it is all health related... so eat and drink healthy!

As always, if you have any questions regarding this post or any dental related concern, don't hesitate to call the office.

Debbie Johnson
Brian Johnson DMD
Family and Cosmetic Dentistry
1240 Upper Hembree Road
Suite C
Roswell, GA 30076
770.993.9809
www.BrianJohnsonDMD.com

No comments:

Post a Comment